Tuesday, October 13

Will Bike for Food: 37 Miles Worth

So my initial Tour de Taco plan was to order only el pastors and compare all 9 tacos based on flavor, tortilla, quantity and presentation---but in the end, my plan was flawed.

Bicycling is definitely efficient, but we had a lot of ground to cover. By the time 5PM rolled on by we were only at our 3rd stop-- and thats when I had to bail for my supper club.

Luckily though, the first 3 tacos were the furthest and the only ones I would not have normally gone to. Here's my review--hopefully it will save you the trek.
IMG_0482
Our fearless leaders: (center) Tishon (right) Emily

Our bike ride (I headed up with Anita) started off at 1030AM at Grand Army Plaza heading to Morningside Heights (12 miles). Scoring: 1= Lowest, 5 = Highest
IMG_0473
TACO STOP #1: Taqueria y Fonda - Amsterdam btwn 107th & 108th, Manhattan

ORDER
: El Pastor
COST:
$3.75
FLAVOR:
2
TORTILLA: 5
QUANTITY: 5
PRESENTATION
: 5

RECOMMENDATION:
Pass. Too dry. Menu said pulled pork, but it was clearly cubed. Perks were the cilantro, huge grilled onions and pineapples. They also served tripe, lengua, cactus which sounded good-- but the plan was only eat el pastors. Would I ride 12 miles again for dry meat? Nope.
IMG_0480
TACO STOP #2: Tortilleria Nixtamal - 10405 47th Av, Corona Queens

ORDER: El Pastor
COST:
$2.00
FLAVOR:
3
TORTILLA
: 1
QUANTITY
: 2
PRESENTATION:
3

RECOMMENDATION:
Pass. From Stop #1 to Stop #2 was 11 miles. I was starving by then. The grounded el pastor was a little too salty for me, but at least packed with flavor. Unfortunately the portion was itty bitty and the tortilla was hard. Would not come back.
will bike for food
TACO STOP #3: Papacitos - 999 Manhattan Av, Brooklyn

ORDER:
Fish
COST:
$2.00
FLAVOR
: 4
TORTILLA:
4
QUANTITY:
4 P
RESENTATION:
3

RECOMMENDATION:
Why not! Id come back if youd ask me to--even if they dont serve el pastors. Not as good as other places, but the most satisfying and worth the 8 mile bike ride.

So none of the first 3 stops won my heart-- or belly. But I rode 37 miles (home was 6 miles), and it was still worth the fun learning experience.

Calculate your future rides with Ride The City.